Right Reverend GIUSEPPE SANDRI MCCJ was appointed bishop of Witbank on 17 November 2009. He was ordained on the 31 January 2010. DIOCESE OF WITBANK has as PATRONS: St Peter Claver and St Therese of the Child Jesus.
By Papal Decree 12 June 1923, the Eastern Transvaal was separated from the Transvaal Vicariate and entrusted to Missionaries, Sons of Sacred Heart (MSFC). In 1979 the MSFC rejoined the Verona Fathers (FSCJ) and are known as the Comboni Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus (MCCJ).
The Lydenburg Prefecture was raised to the status of Vicariate on 9 December 1948. Following the establishment of the Hierarchy in South Africa, the Vicariate was raised to the status of a diocese on 11 January 1951.
On the 23 June 1958, a number of magisterial districts on the southern boundary of the diocese
were excised and incorporated in the Volksrust Prefecture. On the 13 September 1964 the name of the diocese changed to Lydenburg-Witbank by papal decree and on the 10November 1988 to Witbank.
The diocese comprises themagestrial districts of Barberton, Belfast, Carolina, Kamhlushwa, Lydenburg, Mapulaneng, Mhala, Middelburg, Nebo, Nelspruit, Nsikazi, Pilgrim’s Rest, Sekhukhune, Waterval-Boven, White River, Witbank and Portions of Eerstehoek and Groblersdal.
Po Box 651
Tel: (013) 656 6827
Fax: 086 685 5176